Cindy Au is an Administrative volunteer at Circle of Care.
1) What inspired you to begin volunteering for Circle of Care?
I am a breast cancer survivor. My experience fighting through cancer made me reconsider my life, and I realized that I wanted to do more to help people and help the community. It made me understand that I had only a finite time in which to do things, and that I should spend it doing meaningful work. This led me to begin volunteering at Circle of Care. My role might not be as client-facing as other roles, but I really enjoy speaking on the phone with our clients, and I feel like I am making a difference in their lives.
2) Is there a specific moment you recall while volunteering that made you feel like you made a real difference?
When I was recognized for my volunteer work and I received the Administrative Recognition Award, that’s when it made me feel like I had really made a difference.
3) Has volunteering changed your outlook in any way?
Volunteering has helped me to realize that I am on the right path and doing exactly what I should be doing. It’s such a wonderful way for me to be spending my time!
4) What makes a good volunteer?
To be a good volunteer, you must be passionate about what you are doing, and have love for other people and for the role that you are undertaking. If you have these characteristics, you will be a good volunteer.
5) What advice would you give to someone who is considering a volunteer position?
If you are considering a volunteer position, I would offer the following advice: help with your heart. If you are ready and willing to help others with a sincere and kind heart, you will find that others respond to you with sincerity and kindness as well.
6) What are your interests outside of volunteering?
I enjoy going to the movies.
7) Do you have any words to live by?
Put love first.
8) What is the most recent book you read?
I don’t read very many books; I prefer to read shorter essays.
9) Where is “home”?
Home is a place where you find love and care!
10) Chocolate or vanilla?