Privacy of Personal Health Information at Circle of care
CIRCLE of CARE protects the privacy and confidentiality of your personal health information by collecting, maintaining, disclosing, securing and destroying private client information in accordance with the Ontario Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (“PHIPA”).
As a client, Circle of Care will:
- Keep your information in confidence and only share when appropriate with other health professionals within your “circle of care” or with those agreed to through express informed consent by you or substitute decision maker.
- Explain the reasons for requesting information from you and ask for your agreement to provide necessary information;
- Only collect and disclose necessary information for planning, delivering and evaluating our services to you;
- Take steps that are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that your personal health information in its custody or under its control is protected from theft, loss and unauthorized use, copying, modification, disclosure or disposal
- Have all staff sign an individual confidentiality and privacy commitment on employment. All employees undergo privacy education with periodic refresher sessions.
- Respect your right to refuse consent, or withdraw consent, regarding the collection or disclosure of your personal health information.
- Only disclose your information beyond your ”circle of care” with your consent, unless disclosure is required or authorized by law;
- Respect your right to access your personal health information collected by Circle of Care or request correction of a record including your personal health information;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date information to serve you better;
- Require contracted service organizations to conform to our privacy standards and to allow us to audit them for compliance;
- Attempt to resolve any complaint you have about how Circle of Care has handled your personal health information
Subject to those exceptions set forth in PHIPA, you may access records that contain your personal health information that are in Circle of Care’s possession or under its control. Any written request for such access should be made in writing and addressed to Circle of Care’s privacy officer as set forth below and contain sufficient detail to allow Circle of Care to identify and locate the record. Circle of Care will endeavor to respond to your request within 30 days of receipt of your request. In the event that Circle of Care needs additional time to respond, Circle of Care will notify you in writing within the above referenced 30 day period. If you disagree with Circle of Care’s decision in regards to your request, you may file a complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario. We may in appropriate circumstances charge a cost-recovery fee in regards to providing access or a copy of a record.
If you believe that a record that contains your personal health information is not accurate or complete having regard to the underlying purpose of such record, you may make a written request to Circle of Care’s privacy officer to have the record corrected. Circle of Care will endeavor to respond to your request within 30 days of receipt of your request. In the event that Circle of Care needs additional time to respond, Circle of Care will notify you in writing within the above referenced 30 day period. If you disagree with Circle of Care’s decision in regards to your request, you may file a complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.
For more information on Circle of Care’s privacy practices, or to make a complaint regarding the collection, use, disclosure, security or destruction of your personal health information, please contact Circle of Care’s privacy officer at:
4211 Yonge Street, Suite 401
Toronto, ON M2P 2A9
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario is responsible for ensuring that custodians of personal health information comply with PHIPA. For more information about your privacy rights, or if you were unable to resolve any issue with Circle of Care in regards to your personal health information in Circle of Care’s possession or under its control, you may contact or make a complaint with the Information and Privacy Commissioner at:
Commissioner of Ontario at:
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
Telephone: 416-326-3333 or 1-800-387-0073