Sasha Krasnov is a Mount Sinai Friendly Visiting Volunteer, at Circle of Care.
1) What inspired you to begin volunteering for Circle of Care?
I care a great deal about Senior Citizens and I feel they are a part of society that do not receive as much attention and care as they should.
In my family we are very lucky because my mother cares for my grandmother; however I know there are many seniors who never had families or whose families do not live in the same city as them, and so I wanted to help support those seniors.
2) Is there a specific moment you recall while volunteering that made you feel like you made a real difference?
This year, David’s wife hosted a small birthday party with 8 of his closest friends – she included me as one of his friends – that was when I knew that I had made a difference in David and Annette’s life. Also – my husband and I took David to a Blue Jays game last summer and he keeps asking to go again so I know he remembers that as a special time and would like to go again.
3) Has volunteering changed your outlook in any way?
It has really made me appreciate how fleeting life and health can be and to cherish every moment. It has also given me a renewed perspective on family and friends and how important they are in our lives.
4) What makes a good volunteer?
Consistency, compassion and caring.
5) What advice would you give to someone who is considering a volunteer position?
Ensure that you will make time to commit and consistently show up for the people you are volunteering for.
6) What are your interests outside of volunteering?
Yoga, Running, cycling, cooking and travel.
7) Do you have any words to live by?
Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass…it’s about learning to dance in the rain.
“You have to find what sparks a light in you so that you in your own way can illuminate the world.” – Oprah Winfrey
8) What is the most recent book you read?
I am very interest in food so recently I read “Wheat Belly.”
9) Where is “home”?
Where my heart is – I have lived in over 10 cities now so I try to be present and make home where ever I am. But my family is all living in BC now – so that is my other home.
10) Chocolate or Vanilla?